Medication for the relief of fibromyalgia pain
Lyrica (pregabalin) is an FDA approved medication for the relief of fibromyalgia-related pain. Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition that causes long-term muscle soreness and sensitivity around the world, sleep disorders and overwhelming fatigue. This medicine is not an antidepressant. The drug has been used for a long time to reduce nerve pain in patients with shingles and diabetic neuropathy. It is also used to treat partial seizures.
How does Lyrica work to relieve the pain caused by fibromyalgia? The pain of fibromyalgia is considered to be caused by nerve-related changes that cause nerve cells to activate too many signals. This makes a person too sensitive to stimuli that are not usually painful. Scientists do not really know how Lyrica improves symptoms and relieves the pain caused by fibromyalgia. However, laboratory studies suggest that Lyrica helps to reduce the number of nerve signals and, therefore, to calm nerve cells that are too sensitive. This seems to relieve pain in patients with fibromyalgia.
How is Lyrica taken to relieve the pain caused by fibromyalgia? Lyrica is used in the treatment of fibromyalgia in capsule form which is usually taken in divided doses twice a day. Doses range from 150 milligrams to 450 milligrams daily. Your doctor will determine the best dose for you. If you forget to take one capsule, you should take it as soon as possible, unless you are near the time you are supposed to take the next one. Never take two or more at the same time. You must not stop taking this medicine suddenly. This can cause headaches, stomach upset, diarrhea and sleep disturbances. If you want or need to stop taking this medicine, your doctor will explain how to gradually reduce your dose over time.
The benefits of Lyrica: Lyrica can quickly reduce pain and relieve fibromyalgia pain, improve sleep and help some people with fibromyalgia function better and resume their daily activities. In the studies, some patients reported much less pain after taking Lyrica for only one week. Lyrica, however, may not help all people with fibromyalgia.
Before taking Lyrica for fibromyalgia pain relief: Always make sure your doctor knows all the other medicines you are taking. This includes over-the-counter medications, herbs, and supplements. Some prescription medications may interact with Lyrica and cause dangerous side effects. These drugs include:
- antihypertensive medications called ACE inhibitors; Taking Lyrica with these medicines increases the risk of swelling and hives.
- Diabetes medications Avandia (rosiglitazone) or Actos (pioglitazone); If you take these medicines with this medicine, your risk of swelling or weight gain may be increased.
- Narcotic analgesics (such as oxycodone), anxiety medications (such as lorazepam) and tranquillizers; The combination of these medications with this medication increases the risk of dizziness and drowsiness.
- Sleep medications make you sleepy and Lyrica can cause drowsiness. Combining the two can be dangerous.
Do not drink alcohol while you are in Lyrica. This may increase the side effects of Lyrica and cause dangerous sleepiness.
Also tell your doctor if you have any other medical conditions, including:
- Haemorrhagic disorders or low platelet count.
- heart problems
- Kidney problems or if you are receiving kidney dialysis (a lower dose of Lyrica is needed if you have kidney problems)